Aching Joints, discomfort while walking or while moving limbs is becoming common health problems irrespective of age.
Before two-three decades, Joint pain is known to have occurred majorly only in elderly people but now scenario changes prevalence of joint pains are seen in adults also.
Almost 1/3rd of the adults are suffering from joint pain but the severity of pain changes as per individual and the underlying diseases that cause Joint pain.
The most affected Joints that are painful are Knee, Shoulder, Neck, and Back.
What are the main causes of Joint Pain?
- Sedentary Lifestyle
- Obesity – Increased BMI, more weight on weight-bearing joints like the knee leads to joint pain.
- Degenerative changes
- Strains and Sprains due to Excessive exercise or Injuries
- Disease-specific causes are Osteo-Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Gouty Arthritis, etc.
What does Ayurveda say about Joint pain?
Ayurveda, the most ancient medical system originating from India was the primary health care in ancient times, all the minor or major problems were handled by the knowledge of Ayurveda science.
It revolves around the philosophy of Tri doshas i.e Vata, Pitta, and Kapha dosha. All the diseases are manifested due to an imbalance in these doshas.
Pain is a significant feature of the increase in Vata dosha.
For managing the Vata dosha in classical texts Snehana(Massage) and Swedana karma (Sudation therapy) was mentioned as primary treatment.
In the list of Swedana Karma types, there is one therapy known as Upanaha Swedana which is used for the treatment in relieving joint problems.
What is Upanaha Swedana?
Upanaha Sweda is the procedure of applying warm medicated paste followed by bandaging in affected areas for some duration.
Its action depends on the material used for the application and duration of retaining on the skin surface. The warm medication works as a Sudation therapy and helps in relieving the pain and inflammation. The targeted medication also helps in relieving other symptoms along with pain like stiffness.
Here are some of the benefits of Upanaha Swedan-
- It corrects the imbalances of Vata dosha and relieves the pain.
- It reduces the stiffness.
- It improves the flexibility of joints.
The procedure of Upanaha-
- A person is allowed to be in a comfortable position either lying down or sitting upright.
- Then massage is done on the affected part.
- Then prepared Upanaha paste is applied all over the affected part.
- After this, the leaf of Eranda(Ricinus communis) is placed over the applied paste.
- The application of medicinal paste and leave of Eranda secured by bandaging with a cloth.
There are also, some things to be remembered i.e-
- After the procedure, it is beneficial to cover the affected part.
- Avoid walking or roaming unnecessarily
- Restrict yourself from eating junk foods
- Eat healthy foods
- Withdraw cold food items from the diet.
For references and to know about the medicated paste that can be used in Upanaha Sweda here are some examples –
- Nirgundiyadi Upanaha Sweda is used in painful joint disorders
- Dashanga lepa in arthritis and inflammatory conditions
- Masha Saindhav Upanaha Swedan relieves pain and swelling.
Upanaha Swedan is a complete herbal Panchakarma procedure.
It is a simple yet effective procedure that is much better than taking unnecessary steroids and painkillers to relieve the pain.