Steve Martin, coming off an Emmy nomination for Only Murders in the Building, has reassessed earlier comments about his impending retirement. Beginning his career as an off-beat, zany stand-up comic in the 1970s, Martin blossomed into one of the most bankable comedy stars of a generation. In addition to appearing in box office hits such as Three Amigos, Planes, Trains & Automobiles, and Father of the Bride, Martin continued his dominance on Hollywood stages both as a three-time host of the Academy Awards and as the second-most-frequent host of Saturday Night Live. After four decades of work, Martin quietly retired from acting in 2009, only to re-emerge 11 years later with a bang.
At 77 years old, Martin has reinvented himself yet again as the star of Hulu’s Emmy-nominated Only Murders in the Building. The series, also starring Selena Gomez and Martin Short, mixes the actor’s trademark dry humor with excellent mystery writing and genuine suspense. Through two seasons, Only Murders has been a hit for Hulu, and has reinvigorated Martin’s name recognition thanks to his role as executive producer and creator of the show. During an interview last month promoting Only Murders in the Building season 2, Martin admitted that he planned to retire from large scale projects after the series eventually wraps up. It was an announcement that saddened many longtime fans, but apparently it was a premature one.
Speaking to E! on the Emmys’ red carpet (via People), Martin set the record straight about his career plans, revealing that his retirement isn’t as simple as leaving show business after Only Murders in the Building ends. Martin, who was interviewed alongside Short, clarified his future plans to the outlet. Read the full excerpt below:
“It’s a little overstated. They asked me, ‘Do you think about retirement?’ I said, ‘Well this is it. I’m doing a television show, I’ve got a book coming out and I’m touring with [Short]. That kind of is my retirement — that’s what it’s going to look like.”
This clarification comes on the heels of the concern many people online had after last month’s Hollywood Reporter article was taken partially out of context. Amusingly enough, the care for Martin’s continued work was echoed by Short, who added, “I can’t imagine him ever retiring. I hope not, because then you know what happens to me,” jokingly crossing his neck with a finger. Short’s rapport with Martin comes from numerous projects involving each other over the course of 40 years, which has cemented their unbelievable chemistry. Said chemistry is one of the many assets that makes Only Murders in the Building such a captivating show.
Ultimately, Martin’s clarification seems like an attempt by the actor to ensure that his forthcoming work will stand on its own. With Only Murders in the Building season 3 in development and having been skillfully set up in the show’s season 2 finale, any air of finality around Martin’s work on the series could be the wrong kind of press. Audience members waiting for the great Martin to gracefully bow out in a concrete and clear way may completely miss the show’s ability to produce captivating and entertaining television without any pressure to do otherwise. Relieving this pressure also lets Martin’s other projects, such as editorial cartoons and literary works, feel like less of an afterthought for the actor. It may be a while until Only Murders in the Building season 3, but fans will at least get to enjoy every last moment they share with Martin without thinking about which one could be his last onscreen.
The post Only Murders Star Steve Martin Clarifies Retirement Comments appeared first on WorldNewsEra.